Game 1: Best of 7 Series
Angels Probable Pitcher:
(11-8) 3.83 ERA 176.1 IP 1.270 WHIP
Last Game: 10/8 vs BOS: W, 7.1 IP, 4 H, 0 R, BB, 4 SO
Post Season (Career): 12 G (3-3) 3.02 ERA 1.264 WHIP
Away (Season): (5-3) 3.80 ERA 1.233 WHIP
Opposing Hitters (Yankees):
Most PA: Alex Rodriguez (61)
Best BA: Jorge Posada (.414, 12 for 29)
Most H: Mark Teixeira (19)
Most HR: Alex Rodriguez (4)
Notable Stat: Night Games: 4.71 ERA
Yankees Probable Pitcher:
(19-8) 3.37 ERA 230.0 IP 1.148 WHIP
Last Game: 10/7 vs MIN: W, 6.2 IP, 8 H, 2 R, ER, 0 BB, 8 SO, HBP
Post Season (Career): 6 G (3-3) 6.54 ERA 1.989 WHIP
Home (Season): (7-2) 3.17 ERA 1.133 WHIP
Opposing Hitters (Angels):
Most PA: Torii Hunter (74)
Best BA: Howie Kendrick (.667, 8 for 12)
Most H: Torii Hunter (20)
Most HR: Torii Hunter (3)
Notable Stat: vs LHB: .198 BAA
Keys to the Game:
- Swing Early: This regular season, opposing hitters hit .354 on the first pitch from Lackey.
- Think Under the Ball: When the ball is hit on the ground against Lackey, opposing hitters are batting just .188, so focus on keeping the ball in the air.
- Work the Count: Lackey throws 64% of his pitches for strikes. That’s good, but nothing special. So, for the Yankees, don’t be afraid to take some pitches, there’s still a chance you won’t fall behind.
Things to Keep in Mind:
- Bobby Abreu makes his return to Yankee Stadium in the postseason. It will be interesting to see how the crowed greets him. I bet they will greet him nicely.
- Lackey has a ERA of a little over 2 in day games and a little over 4 in night games. That should help out the Yankees.
- When Lackey throws to Napoli, opposing hitters are batting .308 as opposed to .237 when he throws to Mathis. Hopefully, that will keep Napoli out of the lineup. He has always killed the Yankees.
Yankees – Jeter SS, Damon LF, Teixeira 1B, Rodriguez 3B, Matsui DH, Posada C, Cano 2B, Cabrera CF
Angels – Figgins 3B, Abreu RF, Hunter CF, Guerrero DH, Rivera LF, Morales 1B, Kendrick 2B, Mathis C, Aybar SS
*FOLLOW ALONG DURING THE GAME ON TWITTER @aBiteOffNY*