Hes the one we have all heard about. The most prized possession of the 2009-2010 off season. After a shaky ending in his time in St. Louis, Holliday is up in the air and ready to sign a big long term deal.
Age/Type FA: 29/A
Career (6 Seasons): .318 BA .933 OPS 152 HR 1030 H
Best Season (2007): .340 BA 216 H 137 RBI
- He led the league in hits, batting average, RBI’s, and doubles in 2007.
- He will only be 30 years old at the beginning of next season.
- He is consistent, hitting over .300 in his past five seasons.
- The Yankees need an outfielder with the absence of Damon and/or Matsui.
- He wants to play on the east coast.
- He has experience in the postseason, including the world series.
- He is a type A free agent and the Yankees will need to give up high draft picks again.
- He won’t be cheap and will demand a long term contract.
Chat or Chuck?:
Chat. This is the guy the Yankees need. This is the guy that can make the difference. Lets face it, Damon and Matsui will not be on the Yankees together next year, and the Yankees need to fill that hole. Holliday will make this team younger, and can be part of a core that will become a dynasty. The combination of Holliday, Teixeira, A-Rod, Sabathia, Chamberlain, Hughes, Cano, Burnett, and Cabrera looks nice for the next five years.
The Yankees have made it clear that there first priority is a starting pitcher. Having said that, the Yankees will go aggresivley after someone to fill that spot and will then come aggressively after Holliday later in the off season, with a big, long term deal.